Back to Blog
Jul 01 2021
10 ways to beat the heat on a construction site
Summer has arrived and with that comes long hot days, so we’re gonna get into a way to keep your cool!
- Ice is your friend, so get out that thermos and fill it with ice water to help keep you cool.
- Cut back on coffee and booze, cause they both can lead to dehydration. This includes those energy drinks. Look into a sports drink for those hotter days!
- Get good sunscreen. The spray-on ones are great as long as it’s not windy. Make sure you use it multiple times in the day especially when you’re sweating.
- Water is also your friend, start drinking it right when you get up in the morning so you’ve got a jumpstart on hydration, yes even before coffee!
- The clothes you wear can make a big difference, loose-fitting lighter clothes can help keep that body temperature down.
- Take cover when you can! Staying out of the sun as much as possible with pop-up shelters and other covered work areas.
- Remember that the human body does need to acclimatize to the weather. It can take a few days or a week to get your body up to speed with heat so take it easy when the mercury is rising!
- Sweat and spray bottles help to keep you cool. The water or sweat will evaporate and cool down your skin temperature. Get a small spray bottle from a dollar store and keep it close so you can mist whenever needed.
- Change your work hours if possible in the hotter months. Starting early when the temperature is lower and your crew is less to melt away.
- Know the warning signs of sunstroke and heat exhaustion like rapid pulse, goosebumps, headache, and confusion.
To learn more check out the links below!